Owners of even the best behaved pets will one in a while deal with pet urine accidents that leave urine stains on carpet. Many times the urine spot is not discovered until long after the accident.
To treat urine-damaged areas:
- Blot damp areas as soon as the urine is detected with plain white medium sized cloth towel.
- Apply a solution of 1/8 teaspoon of a clear liquid dishwashing detergent (non-bleach and non-lanolin) with one cup of lukewarm water, by saturating towels and blotting.
- Then, absorb the moisture with a white towel, rinse with warm water, and repeat the application of detergent. Continue rinsing and blotting with the detergent solution and water as long as there is a transfer to the toweling or improvement in the spot.
- After the carpet has been allowed to dry follow the detergent application with a solution of one cup white vinegar to two cups water and blot dry. Do NOT pour directly on the urine spot but use a spray bottle to gently mist the area.
- Apply a half-inch layer of white cloth towels to the affected area, and weight down with a flat, heavy object. Continue to change the cloth towels frequently until the carpet is completely dry. This process could take more than 24 hours for the moisture to absorb into the cloth towel.
Pet urine can affect the dyes used in carpet, although not all occurrences will result in a permanent stain.
The dyes and carpet fibers may be permanently damaged if much time has gone by without the pet urine being treated properly. Pet urine, left unattended, can damage carpet in several ways. Moisture can weaken the bond between the layers of the carpet, allowing separation or delamination of the backing material to separate.
Another problem, especially with cat urine, is odor. Unless the cat urine can be completely removed, complete odor removal is unlikely. A number of products are available to combat odor, but some may simply mask the odor. By calling a professional Carpet Cleaning Company, like Victoria Carpet Care, we will be able to extract the contaminants from the carpet.
Call Victoria Carpet today for a FREE Cleaning Evaluation: 250-474-7777
Our Victoria Carpet Care Cleaning Specialists are more than happy to answer any of your carpet care questions!
Victoria Carpet Care is happy to provide both Residential and Business Carpet, Upholstery and Area Rug Cleaning Services to all of Greater Victoria, Sooke, Metchosin, Langford, Colwood, Saanich, View Royal, Sidney, Esquimalt and Oak Bay.