With the number of home floods escalating due to the extremely wet weather in Victoria BC, a number of rugs will be exposed to flood water.
The longer a rug remains wet the more likely it is to have dye migration that is not correctible. Rugs that are not washed properly and dried thoroughly can end up with mildew and dry rot problems.
Here are tips to minimize the damage of rugs involved in floods:
- Extract the water as soon as possible using a wet vacuum or having your professional carpet and rug care company such as Victoria Carpet Care extract with their professional water removal equipment.
- Make sure you extract WITH the direction of the rug’s fiber nap, instead of against it (this minimizes fiber damage).
- If you are unable to have the rugs thoroughly washed right away, then it’s important to get the rugs as dry as possible to stop the damage risks. Dry them and wash them later.
- When transporting to a facility to be cleaned, wrap in towels or sheets to prevent dry from migration from one rug to another.
- Do NOT hang up wet rugs. Extract and dry out flat.
- Do NOT dry in direct sunlight. Most contemporary rugs are sensitive to sunlight fading. If you must dry in sunlight, lay the rugs face down so fading occurs on the back side only until the rugs are taken to a cleaning facility.
Wool and silk oriental rugs can take months, sometimes years, to weave by hand. If you have investment textiles you want to protect from a flood that has affected your home, simply follow those guidelines and you can lessen the risk of permanent damage to your rugs due to extended exposure to water.
Our Victoria Carpet Care Cleaning Specialists are more than happy to answer any of your rug and carpet care questions! Call Victoria Carpet Care at 250-474-7777 for a FREE evaluation on your cleaning needs
Victoria Carpet Care offers all of these great services: High Heat Extraction, Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Area Rug Cleaning, Pet Stains and Odors, Odor Control, Leather Cleaning, Disinfectants, Carpet and Upholstery Protectors, Environmentally Friendly Green Cleaning Options and Furniture Cleaning